Ormond School was the first school on the Poverty Bay flats when it was established in 1874. It was moved in 1876 due to threat of flooding from the Waipaoa River and again to its current site in 1952. In 1982 the preschool building was moved onto the site at the back of the school, and in 1993 the Ormond Community Hall was moved from its place beside the Ormond Tavern to its current site on the roadside at the front of the school. (see the pics at right from our 'Old School Day')
In 2012, the Ormond Kindergarten was built in place of the old preschool. We have a wonderful relationship with the Kindergarten with many of its children moving from Kindergarten right next door to our school.